For many years, Mr. Gordon has made me a lovely fish and leek soup for my birthday dinner.
I was horribly sick with (I assume) a version of the flu – which I eventually passed along to Mr. Gordon – so for my birthday this past year, we had takeout.
But Mr. Gordon promised to make me some glorious (it really is) Fish and Leek Soup before the winter was through. Tonight was the night!
The recipe is from a small cookbook we picked up in the “bargain” section of Barnes & Noble years ago. The cookbook is called “Food Lovers One Pot.” It’s a compilation of – you guessed it – “one pot” recipes. The fish soup is one of the recipes, focused on salmon as the main fish in the dish. However, Mr. Gordon has made some improvements on the recipe and tonight I’m sharing it here!
First, some prep pics to whet your whistle! 🙂
Oh how love-a-ly!
Mr. Gordon spoils me, yes? 🙂
Here’s the recipe if you are interested! Enjoy!
- 14 oz. of fresh fish (fresh salmon is the recommended fish, we use salmon plus others, like fresh tuna and fresh cod)
- 1 (6.5 ounce) can clams
- 1 eight-ounce bottle of clam juice
- 2 leeks
- 1 pound floury potatoes (like Yukon Gold)
- 2 tbsp. butter
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- grated nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable broth or stock
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped dill
- ½ cup cream
- ½ to ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- Lemon juice
- Parsley or dill for garnish
- Wash and clean the leeks and chop.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small cubes.
- Saute the leek and potatoes in the butter. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add vegetable stock, bring to a nice boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes.
- Rinse fish (if you need to) and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Add dill and cream to the stock - stirring as you add the cream in slowly.
- Add thawed corn.
- Bring to boil, then carefully add the fish. Simmer gently for 4 to 5 minutes until the fish is done ("opaque" in the middle). DO NOT BOIL.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and lemon.
- Garnish with dill or parsley if on hand.
- Serve with buttered crusty bread and enjoy!