Seedlings, seeds, plants update – it’s a labor of love!
I mentioned that the corn failed (no worries, will direct sow). Onions never sprouted (seeds old, ordering new seeds for direct sow), and the broccoli and Brussels sprouts failed to sprout as well. But, at this point:
Seedlings / plants:
- 6 French green lentils sprouts (seem frail, but I’ve never grown them before)
- 4 Black Turtle Bean plants
- 4 Hank’s Xtra Special Baking Bean plants
- 6 Kidney Bean plants
- 15-ish leeks (pretty small and frail, so we’ll see)
- 7 Bridge to Paris Pepper plants
- 6 Joe’s Cayenne Pepper plants
- 4 Sweet Pimento Pepper plants
- 6 mighty Black Beauty Zucchini
- 16 (yes, 16) Double Yield Cucumber plants (so Mr. Gordon wants me to grow a lot of cucumbers for pickling, eh?)
- 25 Firminio’s Plum Tomato plants (which is funny, because I originally only planned on 20)
- 5, possibly 6, New Yorker Tomato plants
- 1 Garbanzo Bean plant
- Feuer Kegel Beets – not a lot, pretty frail, and planning to direct sow the Ruby Queen Beets; did REALLY well with those as an early crop last year
- Celery is growing in planting cells and is so tiny, I have no idea how I’ll transplant. Anyone else start celery inside?
Just planted today: Trying for the Brussels Sprouts again – about 6 plants; now on heat mat
Just planted today: 4 Honeynut Squash; now on heat mat
Also have about 12 Sparky French Marigolds started inside- will also direct sow.
I will admit, it’s a bit of a pain moving them around the room to get the most light. Somebody come build me a nice greenhouse outside!
Mighty Baked Beans! Teeny, tiny leeks.
I’m so excited about the peppers. I hope they do well when we transplant them!
Ordering new Basil seeds and New York Early Onion Seeds. Probably Chives and Dill, too. (Probably order from Hudson Valley Seed Co.)
Ordered a couple of months ago and will be shipped this week: 3 kinds of potato seedlings from Wood Prairie Farm in Maine. Speaking of potato seedlings… er, scroll to see what we found growing in the basement. Looks like we’re planting blue potatoes again.
Me: Mr. Gordon, what is growing in the basement?
Mr. Gordon: I’m not sticking my hand in there.
I haven’t even gotten to the medicinal seeds yet! Will direct sow outside…
So, that’s the 2019 Garden update!
Tell me how your seedlings / garden plans are coming along!
(Check out how the garden is doing in these 2 posts: June 23 – A Garden Update! and June 29 – Another Garden Update! )
Let me know you popped on by! Click in the comment box to get started!